Tuesday 2 February 2010

A lecture i saw last night

As i lay on my bed i was flicking through the channels and came across a lecture on channel one. the lecture was by Terry Prachett and was on assisted death, the lecture gave both views on the ethical stand points of doctors and the everyday Joe Bloggs however toward the end favouring one side .
This got me to think what would i want in that situation for myself or a close family member , i myself am athletic and play hockey at the highest level and have been honour to receive caps for my country but if i became paralysed or unable to move from the neck down, ware would my quality of life be?
I life for sport and competition ware would i be and how would i cope. many people say there would be doctors who take advantage of this and that trust between doctor and patient would be at risk , i ask you this putting your live in the hands of your doctor is that not the most trusting gesture u can do and as for doctors taking advantage, there job is to preserve life and will do so till they think it is wrong to do otherwise. i think that too many people hold on to bleeps on machine showing that relatives, friends are still living, i ask u to what extent do they life would it no be better to remember them for the person they once were rather than the person they have become due to illness etc.
I hope if i ever have the miss fortune to suffer from a deteriorating disease or a large accident which paralayzed me totally that i have the option to have assisted death what could be more dignified than being at home with those who you love, being able to say goodbye, knowing they are no longer suffering and allowing you to remember them for the person they once were .

No comments:

Post a Comment